A three day short course for academics in animation designed to bridge the gap between Academia and Industry.
The Lecturer Development Programme offers a unique opportunity for academics to develop their production skills and maintain a dialogue with the animation industry through a series of short courses, masterclasses and workshops covering a wide variety of production processes and techniques. The Programme has been designed collaboratively with both academics and the animation industry to ensure it addresses the challenges faced by institutions to remain relevant in the constantly evolving industry, and to help them provide their students with the professional skills needed for a career in animation.
The Lecturer Development Programme starts with an intensive three day, non-residential introduction course at the world-famous Aardman studios in Bristol, led by highly experienced animation professionals. The course includes practical masterclasses, workshops and seminars covering a wide variety of disciplines involved in animation production. Classes are taught in small groups with a flexible structure, and there is the opportunity to collaborate with Aardman and create subsequent follow-on courses, tailored to address specific teaching needs.
DAY 1 – CGI AND STOP FRAME ANIMATION
- Welcome and introduction from Aardman co-founder Peter Lord
- Tour of the CGI department and stop frame animation studios
- Seminar on CGI film-making chaired by senior CGI animator
- Seminar to introduce Motion Control, camera kits and best practice chaired by Studio Manager
DAY 2 – LIGHTING AND INTERACTIVITY IN ANIMATION
- Masterclass on lighting led by Director of Photography
- Tour of the Digital department
- Masterclass on interactive animation
DAY 3 – MODELMAKING AND CHARACTER ANIMATION, PERFORMANCE AND REFLECTION
- Masterclass on modelmaking techniques for stop frame animation led by Head of Modelmaking
- Seminar led by an Aardman Director on Character Animation
- Seminar chaired by Loyd Price, Head of Animation, about what he looks for in animation reels when recruiting
- Practical stop frame animation workshop led by senior animator, encompassing performance and LAVS
- Q&A session with key staff
New dates coming soon – register your interest below.
Cost: £900 + VAT @ 20% = Total £1080 (including lunch and refreshments)
The Aardman studios in Bristol